A psychological crisis or suicide threat should be taken seriously. The following actions can reduce the risk of crisis escalation.
- Call the Police in the event of an imminent threat, 911
- Call the Counseling Office for assistance or referral, call 773-442-4650 or ext. 4650
- Take threats seriously. Most suicidal students or employees give some warning of their intentions.
- If you think a student or employee might be suicidal, discuss your concerns with him or her. This kind of discussion can actually reduce the risk of harmful behavior and doesn’t put ideas in their heads.
- If a student or employee is acting strangely, discuss your concerns with him or her, especially if the behavior has recently changed. Early intervention can help prevent subsequent escalation.
- Encourage a referral. The Counseling Office or off-campus agencies can provide effective assistance in most of these situations.
- Keep your own safety in mind. A student or employee may not intend to harm you, but it can happen due to emotional distress or miscalculation.
- Contact the Counseling Office for additional help or advice.