Even in a severe earthquake, there is much you can do to prevent or minimize injuries and damage to property.
During an earthquake
If you are inside:
- Stay calm.
- Avoid falling objects.
- Crawl under a table or desk, or stand in a doorway.
- Stay away from windows, mirrors, overhead fixtures, filing cabinets, bookcases, and
If you are outside:
- Move to an open area away from buildings, trees and power lines.
- If forced to stand near a building, avoid falling objects.
If you in an automobile:
- Stop your vehicle in the nearest open area.
- Stay in your vehicle until the shaking stops.
After an earthquake
- Remain calm.
- Be prepared for aftershocks. Open doors carefully. Avoid falling objects.
- Be guided by emergency personnel. If evacuation is ordered, proceed to the nearest clear exit.
- Do not move seriously injured persons unless they are in obvious immediate danger (of fire, building collapse, etc.).
- Do not use elevators.
- Do not use matches or lighters.
- Provide emergency response personnel information on anyone who may need assistance.