Here are few suggestions for what you might do to prevent a crime in your area:
In your office:
- Call the front desk at ext. 0 to report suspicious persons or activity.
- Lock your door, even if you are just going down the hall. It takes a thief ten seconds or less to enter an open room and steal your property.
- Do not leave messages on your door indicating that you are away and when you will be back.
- If someone asks to use your phone for an emergency call, offer to telephone for them instead of allowing them access.
- Do not put your address on your key ring.
- Do not leave keys in hiding places.
- Call Riverwest Security at 312-226-8863 to report suspicious persons or activity or to request escort service.
- Avoid walking alone at night unless absolutely necessary.
- Walk purposefully, know where you are going, and project a no-nonsense image.
Protecting your auto or bicycle:
- Always lock your car or bicycle.
- Lock bikes to bike racks with hardened-alloy locks and chains or U-shaped locks.
- Do not leave tempting valuables or property visible inside the car. Lock these items in the trunk.
Protect yourself when driving:
- Look into your car before getting in. Lock doors and roll up windows once inside for protection.
- Do not stop to help occupants of stopped or disabled vehicles. Continue driving to the nearest phone and call assistance for them.
- If your car breaks down, raise the hood and then lock yourself into your car. If someone stops and offers help, remain in your car and ask them to phone for help. Do not worry about seeming rude.
Call Public Safety at x4100 for detailed crime prevention information and visit the
Public Safety website www.neiu.edu/~psafety
to review detailed safety data.