Hazardous materials are managed safely on a regular
basis by knowledgeable individuals. Minor spills may
occur that can be safely and effectively cleaned up
with appropriate resources.
This section provides emergency response guidance for greater than minor spills.
If a hazardous material spill occurs:
- Call Public Safety at ext. 175 immediately. If the event occurs during regular working hours call facilities at Ext. 104.
- Obtain a Material Safety Data Sheet for the hazardous material and offer it to emergency responders.
- If there is any possible danger, evacuate your area and provide information to emergency response personnel.
- If a toxic hazardous material comes in contact with your skin, immediately flush the affected area with clear water.
If a hazardous material fire occurs:
- Remain calm.
- Call 911 then notify Public Safety at ext. 175.
- If the fire is small and you have received training, attempt to put it out with a fire extinguisher
or other available means. Do not jeopardize your personal safety.
- Never allow the fire to come between you and an exit.
- Evacuate your area if you are unable to put out the fire. Close doors and windows behind you
to confine the fire. Proceed to an exit.
- Do not break windows. Oxygen feeds a fire.
- Do not attempt to save possessions at the risk of personal injury.
- Do not return to the emergency area until instructed to do so by emergency response personnel.
- If you know what hazardous materials are involved in the fire, communicate that information
to fire department officials.