1. What is meant by each of these distinguishing characteristics of
A. significant distortion in the perception of reality
B. impairment in the capacity to reason, speak, and behave rationally or spontaneously
C. impairment in the capacity to respond spontaneously with appropriate affect and motivation
2. What is the difference between positive and negative symptoms? Name
some of each type.
3. What makes the difference between: Paranoid, Disorganized, Catatonic,
Undifferentiated and Residual types of Schizophrenia?
4. What defines: Delusional Disorder, Folie a Deux?
SUBJECTIVE EXPERIENCES OF DISTURBANCES - for each of these questions,
give examples from either the book or film version of I Never Promised
You a Rose Garden
Perceptual - Structure & Process
1. What are the two contrasting ways that patients described their sensory
awareness (with respect to such things as light, color, figure-ground,
overall stimulation)? Give examples.
2. In what ways did some experience visual illusions?
3. What were the changes in depth perception and perspective?
4. What physical changes in their eyes did they report?
1. What opposite experiences have been reported regarding their thought
processes (e.g. clarity, acuity, energy, creativity, speed, concentration)?
2. What was the common experience about control of thinking process?
3. How did they describe experienced changes in the meaning of words
4. What is the significance of the term "mental filter?"
5. What were some of the differing descriptions of their experience
of their own judging and reasoning processes?
Language & Speech
1. How did people say their production of speech was affected?
2. What kinds of difficulty did they experience receiving & processing
the speech of others?
Other Related Disturbances
1. What was their sense of time?
2. What examples are there in the book or film of:
A. Mistaking Identities of Others
B. Thinking in Images
C.. Confusing Literal & Figurative Meanings of Words
D. Physical sensations in the brain or head
BOOK & FILM & FRIEDA FROMM -REICHMANN ARTICLE ON I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN
1. Go through the article and pick out which items are similar in the
book, the film or both.
2. What major differences do you see among the three?
3 Write down your visual picture of Frieda Fromm-Reichmann based on
the article and the book?
4. What were the best and worst aspects of the film version; i.e., where
was it better than the book and where did it add something or leave something
out that made it worse than the book?
5. What DSM IV characteristics did Deborah display: a) in the book ?
b) in the film?
6. Overall, how accurate were the book & the film? Where did they stray?