of Earth Science |Northeastern
TO GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERING
Review for Exam
For today's exam,
you should be able to do the following:
* Use the USCS classification system to classify a soil on the basis of
lab tests. (This was a presentation by Jeff.)
* Use topographic
maps to identify important features and to find locations using
latitude and longitude and the Public Land Survey system (township,
* Use topographic maps, soil surveys, geologic maps, stack maps, and
other published documents to investigate a site during the "site
reconnaissance" phase of a study.
topographic map (we used the Mokena quad in class) and a geologic map
(the Willman map) and correlate geologic features with
* Describe the topographic expression of a moraine, an outwash plain,
and the Chicago Lake Plain.
of many types to examine the geology of a particular area. (In
class, we looked at the NEIU campus.)
Describe methods used for subsurface exploration and sampling, and
explain how engineers determine the number, depth, and type of borings
* Set up and be ready to work out Problem 4.2, 4.3, and 4.4 using the hints
Construct a cross section based on boring logs.
* As in the geotechnical project, describe a site's topography and
subsurface geology based on geologic maps, topographic maps, and
analysis of boring logs.
* As in the geotechnical project, use the results of a boring program
to identify locations and depths at which water may be encountered in
* List the ways in which a compacted soil differs from an uncompacted
* Describe a Proctor compaction test, and explain what its purpose is.
* Tell what is meant by optimum water content and optimum dry unit
* List and explain each of the phases of earthwork.
* Identify the heavy
equipment used in earthwork.
© 2007 Laura L. Sanders. Last
updated April 27, 2007.