TO GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERING
Geotechnical Project: How will work be evaluated? Sanders
To Geotechnical Project Main Page
Check back for updates as the project work progresses!
|Step 1. Description of the topography and geology of the study site.||* Does the work accurately and completely
describe the topography at the site and in the general area?
* Does the work accurately and completely describe the sediment at the site and in the general area?
* Does the work accurately and completely describe the bedrock at the site and in the general area?
Fence diagrams and map
showing fence diagram lines.
||* Are two fence diagrams included in the work?
* Are ground surface, geologic conditions, and water levels (during drilling and at completion of the boring, if appropriate) shown?
* Are locations of the borings shown (using a single line to show each boring location, the appropriate length so that it represents the depth of the boring)?
* Is the line of cross section (for example, A-A', B-B') drawn on the map and labeled on the cross section?
* Are horizontal and vertical scales (including units) given?
* Does each cross section have a title?
||* Does the work include "Soil Boring Data and
* Are the boring logs included as an Appendix?
* Does the paper clearly explain how the boring logs were analyzed?
* Does the paper include "Soil and Rock Conditions" in the Discussion and Recommendations section?
* Does the Soil and Rock Conditions section clearly and accurately describe the conditions and materials that will be encountered during the construction phase?
* Does this section include depths, thicknesses, and descriptions of the layers of subsurface geologic material?
* Does the paper include a section called "Ground Water"?
* Does the Ground Water section clearly describe the subsurface water conditions that will be encountered during the construction phase?
* If water will be encountered, is it clear at what depths, and whether it will be present year-round or not?
||* Are all the following
sections included, in this order?
Scope of work
Soil Boring Data Analysis and Results
Discussion and Recommendations
Soil and Rock Conditions
|All Portions of the Project||* Are all sources cited?
Are they cited
* Is the work typed/printed?
* Is it in the proper format? (double spaced, correct margins, section headings)
* Is each section of an appropriate length?
* Are errors in grammar and usage minimal?
* Is the work free of typographical and spelling errors?
* Is the writing clear and understandable?
* Is the work written in a scientific/technical style?
© 2007 Laura L. Sanders. Last updated April 26, 2007.