of Earth Science |Northeastern
TO GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERING
(March 1, 2007)
By the end of
today's class, you should be able to do the following:
* Explain the meaning of the term "Fines" as it applies to grain size,
and describe the difference between silt and clay.
* Explain the difference between soil in a liquid, solid, and
* Explain what the Atterberg limits
of a soil tell us.
* Show how to determine the liquid
limit, plastic limit,
and plasticity index of a
soil sample in the laboratory.
* Show how to perform the sieve test portion of a grain size
© 2007 Laura L. Sanders. Last
March 1, 2007.