of Earth Science |Northeastern
TO GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERING
By the end of
today's class, you should be able to do the following:
* Have ready for class: Show how to derive
Equation 4.28 on p. 107 of the textbook. (Groups were assigned in
class on Tuesday.)
* Describe the general methods/techniques for determining grain size
distribution of a sediment sample, and explain the use of the term
Looking at a grain size distribution graph, differentiate between
sediment samples that are poorly graded and those that are well graded.
* Using a grain size distribution graph, read off the D10, D30,
and D60, and calculate the coefficient of uniformity and
* Construct grain size distribution curves for the sample analyses
reported in Problem 4.12 on p. 124.
* Describe the USDA classification system, and plot the position of
some soil sample analyses on the USDA triangle.
* Describe the AASHTO classification system.
* Explain what is required in the "Lab Methods" presentation.
* Explain what is required in the Homework
for next week.
© 2007 Laura L. Sanders. Last
February 22, 2007.