of Earth Science |Northeastern
TO EARTH SCIENCE
today’s class, you should be able to do the
and describe the meaning of common weather measurements: temperature, barometric
pressure, relative humidity, wind speed and direction, and precipitation.
* Describe the temperature and moisture characteristics of these major
air masses: continental
polar, and maritime
what causes precipitation.
* Explain what conditions lead to frontal
* Describe a warm front and a cold front, draw each in profile (side)
view, and using the diagrams, explain how/why each leads to
* Explain what barometric pressure has to do with wind
* Describe the characteristics of between high pressure systems and low
* Explain how high and low pressure systems affect Chicago's weather as
they move across the Midwest.
* Predict the weather in different cities based on the positions of
high and low pressure systems.
© 2007 Laura L. Sanders. Last updated April