of Earth Science |Northeastern
TO EARTH SCIENCE
By the end
today’s class, you should be able to do the
* Draw a
diagram illustrating the processes and products of the water cycle
Describe the work that streams do (erosion, transportation, and
deposition) in terms of energy.
* On a map showing a stream meander,
indicate where erosion is likely
to be highest and where deposition is likely to take place.
* On a map, show an oxbow or oxbow lake and
explain how they formed (topo quad: Arlington Heights).
* Explain what a stream floodplain is and how and
why it forms.
* On a topographic map, delineate the edges of a stream
* Measure the
width of the floodplain
of the Mississippi River (topo quads: Rockwood, Kaskaskia, Selma,
* List and explain factors that can affect the rate of water infiltration
into the subsurface.
* Describe some of the ways various watersheds might
from each other in terms of hydrologic characteristics (e.g. size of
drainage area, degree of urbanization,
and so on).
* Describe what
is expected of you in Homework
#6, due at class time next week.
© 2007 Laura L. Sanders. Last updated April