INTRODUCTION TO EARTH SCIENCE
By the end of today’s class, you should be able to do the following:* For each of the three major groups of rocks, give a few plate tectonic settings in which one might find that type of rock forming.
* Explain what weathering is.
* Explain the difference between mechanical and chemical
weathering, and list several examples of processes that lead to
* Tell what the products of weathering are.
* Describe the two major types of sedimentary rocks.
* Explain what a mineral
is, listing the characteristics that all minerals share.
* Use simple laboratory tools (dissecting needle, copper
penny, hand lens, scratch plate, streak plate) to investigate the
properties of minerals.
* Describe what is meant by the following terms used to
describe mineral properties:
* Use a mineral identification key to identify hand samples of
* Use simple laboratory tools to investigate the
characteristics of sedimentary rocks.
* Use a rock key to identify several hand samples of
© 2006 Laura L. Sanders. Last updated February 2, 2006.