INTRODUCTION TO EARTH SCIENCE
By the end of today’s class, you should be able to do the following:
* List and describe the three major kinds of particles in an
* Use a periodic table of the elements to determine how many
protons are in any given atom.
* Tell what an ion
* Using the concept of how electrons fill "shells" or energy
levels, explain why some atoms have a tendency to form ions.
* Tell which column in the periodic table has those elements whose electron "shells" (energy levels) are full int their most common state.
* Explain why and how some ions tend to join together (bond)
compounds. Give an example.
* Explain what a mineral
is, listing the characteristics that all minerals share.
* Use simple laboratory tools (dissecting needle, copper
penny, hand lens, scratch plate, streak plate) to investigate the
properties of minerals.
* Describe what is meant by the following terms used to
describe mineral properties:
* Use a mineral identification key to identify hand samples of
© 2006 Laura L. Sanders. Last updated January 31, 2006.