INTRODUCTION TO EARTH SCIENCE
By the end of today’s class, you should be able to do the following:
* Complete the sentence, "Most rocks are made of _________."
* List the three major
groups of rocks and briefly explain how each type forms.
* For each of the three major groups of rocks, give a few plate tectonic settings in which
one might find that type of rock forming.
* Explain what a mineral
is, listing the characteristics that all minerals share.
* Use simple laboratory tools (dissecting needle, copper
penny, hand lens, scratch plate, streak plate) to investigate the
properties of minerals.
* Describe what is meant by the following terms used to
describe mineral properties:
* Use a mineral identification key to identify hand samples of
* List and describe the three major kinds of particles in an
* Use a periodic table of the elements to determine how many
protons are in any given atom.
* Explain why some atoms tend to join together (bond) to form
© 2006 Laura L. Sanders. Last updated January 26, 2006.