of Earth Science |Northeastern
INTRODUCTION TO EARTH SCIENCE
Daily Objectives #17 (March 14, 2006)
By the end of today’s class, you should be able to do the
* Explain how a seismograph works.
* Explain how we measure the magnitude
of an earthquake using the Richter scale.
* Explain how we classify the intensity
of an earthquake using the Mercalli scale.
* Explain what P- and S-waves are, and how they move through solid and
liquid material in the earth.
* Explain why it is necessary to have data from at least three
seismometers to pinpoint the epicenter of an earthquake.
* Using data on arrival times of P and S waves for four seismometers,
locate the epicenter of an earthquake.
© 2006 Laura L. Sanders. Last updated
March 14, 2006.