FINDING TOPOGRAPHIC MAPS ONLINE AT THE
MAP LOCATOR WEBSITE *
(*for another option, try
www.terraserver-usa.com; see the
homework page for details)
You will need to be able to find USGS topographic maps for your
next homework assignment. They are posted online on several
sites. The Terraserver site is easy to use, and the USGS Map
Locator site not much harder. Terraserver is described on the
homework page. To use the USGS site, do the following:
1) Go to the Earth Science Department home page, click "Terrific
Links!", and then click the USGS site (third row).
2) Click "Maps, Imagery, and Publications", then, under "Maps",
click "Download digital scans of topo maps".
3) Click "Map Locator". Using the map, zoom in on your site.
4) Following the directions on the right hand side of the map,
select "MARK POINTS ON THE MAP", and click on your point of
interest. A red bubble will appear.
5) Click on the bubble, and a list of map options will appear.
Choose the first one on the
"Download". (These are big files, and may take awhile to
6) You will have to save the map somewhere (like to the Desktop, or
"My Documents"). Be sure you know what the map's name is and
where it is being saved.
7) When the download is complete, find the icon for the map, and
double click it to open it.