of Earth Science |Northeastern
INTRODUCTION TO EARTH SCIENCE
Daily Objectives #6 (September 14, 2006)
Exam #1 is scheduled for September 19!
By the end of today’s class, you should be able to do the
* REVIEW: List the three major
groups of rocks and briefly explain how each type forms.
* REVIEW: List some characteristics of rocks that might help you
determine whether a rock is igneous, sedimentary, or metamorphic.
* REVIEW: For each of the three major groups of rocks, give
examples of plate tectonic
settings in which
one might find that type of rock forming.
* Complete the sentence, "Most rocks are made of _________."
* Explain what a mineral
is, listing the characteristics that all minerals share.
* Use simple laboratory tools (copper
penny, hand lens, scratch plate, streak plate, dissecting needle) to
properties of minerals.
* Given several samples of different minerals, classify them based on
* Describe what is meant by the following terms used to
describe mineral properties:
q specific gravity (similar to
* Explain how to evaluate the mineral properties listed above for a
given mineral sample.
* Using a mineral identification key, determine the name of a given
mineral sample based on its properties. (For fun, visit the online
mineral identification key provided by the Mineralogical Society of
© 2006 Laura L. Sanders. Last updated