of Earth Science |Northeastern
INTRODUCTION TO EARTH SCIENCE
Daily Objectives #5 (September 12, 2006)
Exam #1 is scheduled for September 19, one week from today!
By the end of today’s class, you should be able to do the
* REVIEW: Describe the lithosphere
sketch a diagram showing the internal structure of the earth and show
where they occur, and explain how they differe in terms of their
temperature and rigidity.
* REVIEW: List the two
types of lithosphere (oceanic lithosphere
lithosphere) and describe how they differ in terms of their
thickness and density.
* REVIEW: Describe,
sketch a diagram of, and explain the geologic
features you would expect to find at each type of plate boundary.
(For convergent boundaries, consider all three possible combinations of
plate types!) Give a real-world example for each situation.
* List the three major
groups of rocks and briefly explain how each type forms.
* List some characteristics of rocks that might help you
determine whether a rock is igneous, sedimentary, or metamorphic.
* For each of the three major groups of rocks, give a few plate tectonic settings in which
one might find that type of rock forming.
* Complete the sentence, "Most rocks are made of _________."
* Given several samples of different minerals, make observations
about them and sort them into groups based on
© 2006 Laura L. Sanders. Last updated