of Earth Science |Northeastern
TO EARTH SCIENCE
Objectives #11 (October 3, 2006)
By the end of today’s class, you should be able to do the
* List and describe the two main categories of weathering (chemical weathering
give a few examples of each type.
* Explain the steps in forming deposits of sediments,
erosion, transport, and deposition.
* Distinguish between chemical sediments and detrital sediments,
describing characteristics of each category and telling how they form.
* Explain the steps in forming sedimentary rocks
correctly using and explaining the term lithification.
* Explain the difference
between gravel, sand, and clay
* Examine hand samples of sedimentary rocks and describe their
textural features, distinguishing between detrital
sedimentary rocks and chemical
* Using the sedimentary rock key in your textbook on p. 63,
identify hand samples of sedimentary rocks and explain how you arrived
at each name.
* Explain why the minerals quartz and calcite are commonly found in
the homework assignment by visiting the page
for our course syllabus and clicking on "Homework" in the yellow
box near the top of the page. The assignment is due Oct. 10,
2006--one week from today!
© 2006 Laura L. Sanders. Last updated October 3, 2006.