By the end of today's class, you should be able to do the following:
w Using a topographic map, determine the difference between steep and gentle slopes.
w Using a topographic map, find the elevation of a point.
w Determine the direction a stream flows based on a topographic map.
w Using a USGS topographic map, identify these landforms/features:
○ hill ○ valley ○ closed depression (basin)
○ stream ○ intermittent stream ○ lake
w Using the scale on a topographic map, find the distance between two points.
|Using the topographic quadrangles provided, find at least one place that illustrates each of the following features. Label and place a sticky note on one map or the other, to indicate the location of each feature. It is necessary to find each feature only once.|
* a gentle slope
* a steep slope
* a closed depression
* a round hill top
* a ridge (elongated hilltop)
* a lake
* a benchmark
* a stream; find two places where contour lines cross the same
stream and put sticky notes on the map to show both places. Tell what
direction the stream is flowing.
* a “Gaging Station” along a stream
* a forested or undeveloped area (how can you tell?)
* an urban area (how can you tell?)
w Delineate a watershed based on a topographic map.