CHICAGO ROCKS! Geology in the City
ESCI 109, Section 03
|• steep slope
• gentle slope
• closed basin
• stream valley
w Interpret the contours on
a topographic map showing the landforms listed above.
w Using a US Geological Survey (USGS) topographic map, do the following:
|• Show how to tell what quadrangle
(area) it covers and where that quadrangle falls within the state;
• Show how to determine the latitude and longitude of the sides of the quadrangle;
• Determine the contour interval for the map, and explain what that means;
• Determine the year the map was published;
• Identify streets and highways, railroads, parks, urbanized areas, and buildings;
• Determine the elevation of a given point on the map;
• Identify streams;
• Find the elevation of a stream at a given point on the map.
• Measure the distance between two points.