REO Touring Car, Berkeley Fire Department's first fire apparatus, a chemical engine.Two 35 gallon water cans held water for a soda and acid induced chemical chain reaction. Two 100 foot one inch hose lines brought water to the nozzles.
Ford Model "T", Berkeley Fire Department's first commercially built fire engine. This engine featured a 200 gallon per minute pump with a 160 gallon booster tank. Berkeley purchased the Model "T" used from Great Lakes, Illinois, in 1930.
1934 American LaFrance Type 75, Berkeley Fire Department's second commercially built fire engine. This 750 gallon per minute, right hand steered, open cab pumper featured a 200 gallon booster tank. Purchased used from St. Louis, Missouri in July 1939 for nearly $2200, it was Berkeley's faithful servant for the next ten years.
Berkeley Fire Department's progressive fire service recognized the need for Emergency Medical Services. The volunteers purchased a used ambulance and began emergency transportation of the sick and injured. Many life saving missions of mercy were performed with this Packard wagon. Little Berkeley shamed its big city neighbor, Elmhurst which boasted a career fire department, into providing EMS. The word was out, Berkeley Fire Department transported even Elmhurst residents, free of charge, to Elmhurst Hospital. This fine tradition non-billed emergency medical care continues today.
Berkeley Fire Department 352, an Alexis built, 1958 International Harvester "Rescue Wagon / Ambulance." Photographed in 1967, 352 retired from fire service to Civil Defense service in 1973. She continued serving the Village of Berkeley well into the 90's as Public Works Water Department truck.
Berkeley Fire Department 352 Heavy Rescue Squad. Featured 1200KW electric plant, PTO winch, and on-board 200 lb. "Fire Boss" Dry Chemical extinguisher. 352 sold to Village of Hillside for ESDA service in 1996.