Department of World Languages & Cultures
NEIU Language Back Credit Policy:
You may receive up to 9 no-cost credits for language courses not already accredited, through one of the following:
1. College coursework:
- Complete 102 (or its equivalent) with an A or B = up to 3 credits of 101 in the target language.
- Complete 103/201 with an A or B = up to 6 credits in the target language (101 and/or 102).
- Complete any course beyond 103/201 an A or B = up to 9 credits in the target language (101, 102 and/or 103/201).
- Once you have finished a qualifying course with an A or B,
fill out this form and bring the form, along with a full printout of a current transcript from NEIUPort, to Jeanette Hernandez at Lech Walesa Hall 2040 for processing.
2. Advanced Placement (AP) Exam:
- Score of 3 = Up to 3 credits in the target language (103/201)
- Score of 4 = Up to 6 credits in the target language (103/201 and/or 202).
- Score of 5 = Up to 9 credits in the target language (103/201, 202 and/or one more course to be determined in consultation with the Chair of the Department of World Languages and Cultures).
3. College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Exam
- Score of 55 = Up to 6 credits in the target language equivalent to 101 and 102.
- Score of 66 = Up to 6 credits in the target language 201 and 202.
Notes on the Back Credit Policy:
- If you have not taken a college-level language course before, take
NEIU's Language Placement Exam to determine what course you should take.
- 103 and 201 are equivalent courses for the third semester of the language sequence.
- For more invormation about transferring CLEP and AP exam credits to NEIU, visit NEIU Transfer Center website.
- The NEIU Language Placement Exam, AP Exam and the CLEP Exam may offer languages that not are not currently as NEIU courses at all times.
- For more information on the AP Exam visit:
- For more information on the CLEP exam visit: http://clep.collegeboard.org.