Advising Information

All CMT majors and minors are assigned a primary academic advisor who can answer all of your advising questions. It is important that you meet with your advisor early and often. If you do not know who your academic advisor is, contact the CMT department at

Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I declare a CMT major or one of the minors offered by CMT?

You need to come to the CMT Department Office (FA 240) and fill out a major (or minor) declaration form. You will then be assigned an advisor in the CMT department. Your advisor will work with you during your time as a CMT major or minor.

When should I take “CMTC200: WIP: Theories of Communication, Media and Theatre?”

It is best to take CMTC200 as soon as possible. The course offers (a) an overview of writing, and (b) a theoretical overview of communication, media and theatre. As such, the sooner you take the course, the better prepared you will be in later, upper-division courses.

How and when should I apply for graduation?

First, pick up a graduation application from enrollment services. Then, set up a time to meet with your major (and, if applicable, minor) advisor(s). If you expect to graduate in May, the deadline to submit the graduation application is the previous September; if you expect to graduate in August, the deadline is usually in January; if you expect to graduate in December, the deadline is usually in May. For example, if you expect to graduate in August 2011, the deadline to submit your graduation application is January 18, 2011. If you expect to graduate in December 2011, the deadline to submit your graduation application is May 16, 2011.

I completed my general education courses and my major requirements. Am I ready to graduate?

Not necessarily. The University has additional requirements you need to fulfill in order to earn a Bachelor’s degree.  Click here for NEIU’s graduation requirements.

Can one class fulfill the requirements for a Major in CMT AND a Minor in Theatre or Media? For example, if I take CMTM265, can this course count toward my CMT major and Media minor?

No. A class can only be used once toward your major or minor. You can decide how the course applies, but it cannot satisfy both requirements.

Why can I register for some classes and not others?

There may be a few reasons. First, make sure you have the prerequisites to the class. If you have the prerequisites, then see if if the class is full. If the class if full, contact the instructor to see if she or he will authorize you to take the course.

What if I change my mind about a CMT major or minor?

If you change your mind, you need to either undeclare your major/minor or change your major/minor via a new declaration form in the CMT office (FA 240).

What if my question is not answered here?

Your advisor can help you to answer any questions not listed here.