Wisconsin Steel Works
The first mill in the Southeast Chicago area was the
Brown Iron and Steel Company's Rolling Mill located on the Calumet
at about 109th Street. Its cornerstone was laid on July 5,
The surrounding community was known as Irondale. In 1882, Brown
another principal shareholder, J. T. Torrence, sold their interests in
the mill to the Calumet Iron and Steel Company owned by J. C. Cummings
and the community became known as Cummings. In about 1900 the
was taken over by the Deering Harvester Company which merged with the
Company and formed International Harvester Company and in 1905 the name
of the mill was changed to Wisconsin Steel.
Click on the links at the left to tour
Chicago's East Side.