A Project by
Rod Sellers
Chicago's East Side 
Industrial Sites
East Side Welcome
Industrial Sites
Republic Steel
Youngstown Steel
Wisconsin Steel
State Line Generating Station
U. S. Steel South Works
 
United States Steel South Works


         Employment Office at Illinois Steel (later U. S. Steel)  with sign in six languages

In 1880, the North Chicago Rolling Mill Company began to build a steel mill where the Calumet River met Lake Michigan in the South Chicago neighborhood.  By 1900 the company was known as the Illinois Steel Company and eventually as Carnegie Illinois Steel and later as South Works of the United States Steel Corporation.  The mill was a model of modern technology when it was built and it was a leader in the production of high quality steel.  Many of Chicago's skyscrapers were built with steel beams produced at South Works.  It was the largest of the area mills and employed almost 20,000 workers at its peak. 

"Rosie the Riveter"

Female welders at U. S. Steel during WW II

 Click on the links at the left to tour industrial sites of 
Chicago's East Side.



 
Chicago
Teachers' Center
National Endowment for the Humanities
Northeastern 
Illinois University