St Petri United Church of Christ
St. Petri United Church of Christ, 1910
St. Petri United Church of Christ was founded in 1885 by 24 German immigrants.
Services were originally held ina local school and then in a small wooden
structure. The current church building was built of wood by architects
Diethelm and Franz Roy in the style of German churches at a cost of $10,000.
The building was dedicated in 1892. In 1919 the exterior walls of
the church building were brick veneered. This view of the church,
which is located at 103rd and Avenue L, was taken in 1910. The church
has no parking lot, a reminder that it was a community church and the members
walked to services. Currently many members of the congregation reside
in the suburbs. The building is thought to be the oldest surviving
church structure in the East Side neighborhood.