Douglas Taylor House


                           Von Zirngibl Gravesite


To sites 1 and 2
Begin at Calumet Park Field House 
(9801 Avenue G) 
Visit Southeast Historical Museum
Drive North to exit park at 95th Street North (right) on Ewing to 93rd Street Right on 93rd Street to Kreiter Avenue Check in at main office of Illinois Scrap to view gravesite. 

1) Calumet Park Field House / Southeast Historical Museum

The Calumet Park Field House stands approximately on the site formerly occupied by the Douglas Taylor house. Taylor was an early real estate developer who sold lots for houses in the area between Indianapolis Boulevard on the south, 95th street on the north, Ewing Avenue on the west, and Lake Michigan on the east. The field house is an example of neoclassical architecture and is one of the neighborhood's most impressive structures. The Southeast Historical Museum has been located in the fieldhouse since the mid 1980's and houses an extensive collection of materials related to the history of the Southeast Side of Chicago.

The biology class found several species of birds at the park including seagulls, geese, cardinals, and parrots. Students also found the following trees in the park: sugar maple, basswood, American sycamore, eastern cottonwood, and shingle oak. Patrons of the park can swim in Lake Michigan. The rocks that border the lake near the Coast Guard and at the north end of the park have fossils on them. 

2) Von Zirngibl Gravesite 1855

Gravesite c. 1940
Gravesite Restoration, 1987

The Von Zirngibl Gravesite is located on 92nd street on the river. It has been located there since 1855. "The one armed veteran of Waterloo" was one of the earliest settlers in the Southeast Chicago region. Andreas Von Zirngibl died in 1855 and was buried on land that became prime industrial property. The land is currently the location of a scrap processing operation. That land use now threatens the existence of the grave. The grave was restored in July of 1987. Access to the grave may be impossible if the scrap yard is operating but the grave may be viewed from the back fence next to the railroad tracks. 

   Continue tour                                                                                                   Return to title page