A petition was signed by
the citizens of South Deering requesting a park. It was brought to the
board of the 13th District and in 1909 Trumball Park was established between
103rd and 105th, between Bensely and Oglesby Avenues. The park was
named after Mr. Lyman Trumball. He was an outstanding political figure
of Illinois during the Civil War period. It was designed by the Olmsted
Brothers and secured by the "Women's Libers", the South Deering Improvement
Association and Wisconsin Steel Company.
At first, the park only had playing
fields, tennis and croquet courts and winter sports. Later on, more
improvements were added such as a swimming pool, a field house, and sand
courts. The park had programs such as concerts, kite flying contests
and ball games. The most important social event in South Deering was held
at Trumbull and was their 4th of July Celebration. It was sponsored
by the South Deering Improvement Association. The days activities
included a parade, beauty contest, sports activities, and a huge fireworks
display. Residents of many of the surrounding communities came to
Trumbull Park for the 4th of July Celebration and most particularly the
woderful fireworks show.
Click on the links at the left to tour
Chicago's Deering Community.