St Archangel Michael Serbian Orthodox Church
In 1919, the first Serbian Orthodox church
was founded on the southeast side. One day parishioners of what would
soon be the church decided to get together and name the church. Among
the names were St. Nicholas, St. Archangel Michael, St. Elijah, and St.
George. Finding it difficult to decide on a name they brought it
to motion upon Bozo Lalich and approved the
name St. Archangel Michael Serbian Orthodox Church. Later, in March
of 1924, parishioners realized that the church was very small. On
March 2, 1924, they held a meeting to pick a committee to find a
location for the new church.
On September 18, 1926, construction
work began on the new church. As construction proceeded at a fast
rate, the parishioners were forced to make payments to the contractor for
services and materials used. The first payment was made on November
The years 1939-1948 were called
"The Renaissance Years" because during these years there was a revival
of the parish. In 1940, the people of the church decided to investigate
the possibility of purchasing the vacant lot next to the church to expand,
but the next year the Second World War occurred and the expansion was put
In February of 1950, the choir lofts
were built; church washrooms and kitchen were remodeled. The parishioners
became aware that they should start looking for more property to start
construction on the hall. In November of 1961, the parishioners celebrated
the 35th anniversary of their new building. The proceedings and donations
that were saved that night were totaled at $5,428.79. This helped
them pay off all the debts that they had with the construction and remodeling.
On July 2, 1998, the move which had
been planned 12 years before, took place. For the 400 families which
attended the church, meant selling the church site and moving out of the
Russian country style church after 79 years Serbian worship. Many
of the parishioners that taught Sunday school were very happy with the
move because they lacked space and books. Many of the others were
really upset because it wasn't going to be close to home and wouldn't be
the same. They continued to hold services until July 2, 1998, when
they finally decided it was time to move. The church building still
stands and is now an Ethiopian Orthodox church.
Click on the links at the left to tour
Chicago's South Deering Churches.