Sacred Heart Church
First Church and School
Sacred Heart was
in 1913 at 96th and Escanaba Avenue on the southeast side of Chicago
is the third Croatian parish in Chicago. Before the foundation of
Sacred Heart the Croations of South Chicago belong to the Slovenian
of St. George at 96th and Ewing. Sacred Heart opened for the
time on Christmas Day 1913. It was dedicated on May 17, 1914 by
James E. Quigley.
Rev. Ivan A. Stipanvic was
the first pastor of Sacred Heart Croatian Church. Under his
a school opened with the Sisters of St.Francis of Christ The King
of Lemont Illinois. The work and devotion of Rev.Ivan A.
and the Sisters of St.Francis of Christ The King made a very important
influence on both the spiritual and educational life of the Sacred
The parish of Sacred Heart had 600 families and members which include
descendants from immigrants to the area since the 1900's.
Active organizations in
the parish include the Parish Council, School Board, Altar and Rosary
Holy Name Society, Home and School Association, Teen Club, Athletic
Croatian School, Tamburitza and Kolo Club.
Current Church Building
Click on the links at the left to tour
Chicago's South Deering Churches.