Ford Motor Company
Armored Personnel Carrier Rolling Off
Assembly Line at Ford During WWII
In 1903 twelve men put together $28,000
to create the Ford Motor Company . A year later the Ford Detroit factory
was opened. Henry Ford and James Couzenes ( a shareholder) went to Chicago
and were able to convince Glenn E. Holmes to sell his bicycle shop and
newspaper distributorship to open the first Ford dealership in Chicago
on 1502 S. Michigan Ave . Roughly two years later the company
was able to open a branch on 1444 S . Michigan Ave . This branch was a
sales and service facility. The Ford Company quickly outgrew this
facility and moved to 24th and Lake Park Ave.
With all this excitement happening it
was not until the 1920's that South Chicago felt the Ford rush . They purchased
land on 130th and Torrence Avenue ,which was located next to the Calumet
River . Ford now began construction of its second largest assembly plant
in the United States . Even local residents think that the Ford plant
is located in Hegewisch but in reality it is in South Deering.
Locating the Ford Motor Company on the
southeast side was a really good and successful idea . Ford 's company
on the southeast side had a good work force consisting of many immigrants,
who had come to the south side in search of work at Wisconsin Steel and
other industries . But when the Ford Motor Company opened the new
plant many found work there . The Ford Motor Company gave and brought
new job opportunities and the Calumet River allowed for easy accessibility
for shipping and receiving items.
The Ford Motor is still today one of the leading
industries in South Deering and continues to grow strong . There
are plans to build a supplier park near the current plant location.
Click on the links at the left to tour
Chicago's Deering Community.