Hegewisch Block History
13100 Brandon Avenue
The 131st block of Brandon started to
form in the late 1800's and early 1900's. The first house documented
on this block is 13138 S Brandon Avenue. It was built on February
15, 1883. Brandon Street was called Hegewisch Street, it was later
changed to Ontario Street, finally, it was changed to Brandon. The
block now has twenty-eight houses. The last house built was 13114
Brandon Street and it was built on July 15, 1941. After this, although
some garages were built and some houses were remodeled, not many changes
All of the houses on this block are residential.
Many of the houses on this block are frame. There remain two empty
lots on this block. The material of the majority of the houses on
this block are brick, others are are frame bungalows. The block
was completed in the 1900's. Although not included in Avalon Trails.
the block was 1 block away from the major post war development, Avalon
Trails. The Avalon Trails were being advertised a lot for beautiful
and quality homes. Another major section of Hegewisch was the Arizona
neighborhood. It is located east of the 13100 block of Brandon.
Currently, the surrounding area includes many
public places. Some of these places are: Henry Clay Elementary School,
Saint Florian Church, Saint Columba Church, Mann Park, and the Metra Train
Station. Saint Florian and Saint Columba Churches are Catholic churches.
Mann Park is the major park in the Hegewisch area. Henry Clay Elementary
School is located just a few blocks away and is the nearest public school.
St. Florian is the nearest Catholic School
Click on the links at the left to tour
Chicago's Hegewisch Architecture