Taylor Elementary School
Original Taylor School
Douglas Taylor School is a public elementary
school located on 99th and Avenue 'H'. The school was built in 1878, and
at the time only cost 2,000 dollars. The school was given its name because
of a well known man in the area named Douglas S. Taylor. He was a dealer
in real estate, and his home (see below) was located where the Calumet
Park Field house is located now. He also made the another donation of a
site and materials to start the building of the school. In 1878,
students attending the school were mainly German and Swedish but Italians
and other ethnic groups began to attend in later years. The school
now has a majority of Hispanics.
Taylor Mansion on Site of Present Day Calumet Park Field House
In 1994 the school became over crowded
and the principal decided to eliminate the 7th and 8th grade classrooms
for the younger children. The 7th and 8th graders were sent to attend Gallistel
Branch , located behind St. Francis church, in what was originally Saint
Francis De Sales elementary school. It was given the name Gallistel branch
because that school uses it for their 7th and 8th graders. In 1996-1997
the Chicago Public Schools began the building of Taylor's annex on the
area which was behind the school and formerly as a playground. In
1997-1998 they finished building the annex and it was ready for children.
The students that hadn't yet graduated returned to attend Taylor and became
the first eighth grade graduating class at Taylor since 1994.
Click on the links at the left to tour
Chicago's East Side Community.