Gallistel Elementary School
Original Gallistel School on 110th and Green Bay
Gallistel School is a public elementary school on
103rd and Ewing Ave. The school got its name from a well known man in the
area named Matthew Gallistel. The original Gallistel school was located
at 11019 Greenbay Ave. It was a one room building.
Gallistel School 103rd and Ewing Avenue
Gallistel was the first public
school to be built on the East Side. The new school was built on its present
site in 1876. When the new school was built, the school on 11019 Greenbay
was closed down. The new school was a four floor building.
Gallistel School c.1910
Gallistel currently has a branch,
on 102nd Ewing Avenue, behind St. Francis church. The building being used
was formerly the site of St. Francis De Sales grammer school. Gallistel
branch houses the 6th, 7th, and 8th graders that attend Gallistel.
In 1854 Matthew Gallistel settled
in Chicago. He was a prominent member in Southeast Side of Chicago. He
succeeded J. Bremer as Postmaster of the Postal Service in 1880. With this
he carried on a real estate and fire-insurance business. In 1863 he married
Miss Marie Duschek and had five children. While president of
South Chicago Board of Education a school was erected and named after him.
Cllick on the links at the left to tour
Chicago's East Side Community.