Students have selected one representative block
in each of the communities of Chicago's Southeast Side. The block
was chosen to illustrate various styles of residential architecture common
in the particular community. The 9700 block of Avenue H was chosen
for the East Side community. The residential architecture of the East Side
really didn't start developing until the 1870's when companies near the
Calumet River and harbor emerged. The northern part of the East Side
(north of the railroad tracks which parallel Indianapolis Boulevard) was
called Taylorville. The 9700 block of Avenue H is in Taylorville.
The most popular architect who designed the houses on the 9700 block of
Avenue H, during the early 1900s, was T. W. Fisher. He designed 2 Flats,
single family dwellings, and Edwardian style houses. This block was
chosen because of the variety of housing styles that are on the block.
The southern part of the East Side was called Colehour. It was not
until 1889 that the East Side finally became part of Chicago. During the
1920s, between 95th and 109th streets, the largely residential community
was filled with brick bungalows, two flats and a few apartments. Information
for the "Block Chart" was derived from city building permits and is somewhat
incomplete. The CNT chart was developed from information from the
Center for Neighborhood Technology web site. Images were taken with
a digital camera by the students who worked on this project.
Click on the links at the left to tour residential architecture
Chicago's East Side.