9700 Avenue H
The 9700 block is in the section of the East
Side originally known as Taylorville. It was named after a
real estate developer by the name of Douglas Taylor who sold property on
the north end of the East Side. A local elementary school is also
named after Taylor. The 9700 block was at one time located almost
on the lakefront. Railroad tracks run east of the block and at one
time they ran along the lake shore. In the early 1900's land began
to be filled in mostly with slag from U. S. Steel South Works to create
a park. Calumet Park started as a 40 acre site but eventually grew
to almost 200 acres by the time it was finished. There are a variety
of housing styles on the block built over a long period of time.
Click on the links at the left to tour residential architecture
Chicago's East Side.