Your College of Education
The College of Education (COE) traces its roots to the Chicago Normal School, Cook County's first teacher training institution. Established in 1867, the school underwent many changes to eventually become the oldest College of Northeastern Illinois University.
Today, under the direction of talented faculty and staff, our students learn skills for future success as teachers and leaders in educational systems and around the world. We consistently address the changing educational requirements, with an eye both to giving our students the best education available while also providing the best educational opportunities for the students our alumni will teach.
We believe it is our responsibility to prepare students to meet changing the educational needs of our dynamic and multicultural society, to create educational environments that foster inclusion and collaboration, to participate in positive ways in their communities, and to be able to provide a better future for themselves and their families.
We do not take our responsibility lightly
We are committed to providing the best for our students, and for the students our alumni will one day teach. We give generously of our time, talent and our treasure on their behalf. In furthering our mission, we strive to partner with our alumni and friends, asking that you join us in supporting the College's most critical priorities:
- Financial aid to ensure that our best and brightest students will fulfill their educational goals regardless of their financial need;
- Teaching and research support to sustain our outstanding faculty and rigorous and progressive curriculum;
- Campus and community life that fosters an inclusive atmosphere of collaborative learning.
Join us! Consider getting involved in the following ways:
- Join the Alumni Association as either an alumni or associate member, and learn more about how you can get involved with social, academic and volunteer opportunities;
- Read News & Notes , our COE newsletter
Gifts at Work
Last year, gifts to the COE Fund supported students in financial emergency situations, who may have otherwise been unable to finish their current coursework. It also supported the College's recent NCATE accreditation visit, mentoring initiatives, and its student teachers serving in South Korea.
Remember that gifts to the College of Education help the students of today as well as the teachers (and future students) of tomorrow. Your support will truly have a lasting impact.
Connect with us on social media!