Northeastern Illinois University is pleased to be included in your pursuit of graduate education. Northeastern offers graduate programs in thirty-eight academic concentrations in Arts and Sciences, Education and Business and Management. It is our goal to provide you the support necessary to ensure a smooth admission process.
Graduate admission is a two-part process which involves submitted your application and supporting documents to Graduate Admissions and Records for initial review and recommendation. The final review is made by the program advisor in the discipline in which you are seeking a degree.
The Admissions Process
- Apply for admission by submitting an application or by applying online. Application requires a $30 non-refundable fee.
- Official transcripts from ALL colleges/universities attended should be mailed to the following address
Graduate Admissions and Records
Northeastern Illinois University
5500 N. St Louis Avenue
Chicago, IL 60625
- If you attended college or university outside of the United States, a subject analysis or course-by-course evaluation from Educational Credentials Evaluators, Inc. (ECE) or World Education Services, Inc. (WES) is required.
- Submit a statement of goals and objectives specific to the program to which you are applying.
- Submit two letters of recommendation.
International applicants also require additional documentation. Click here for more information.
Full admission is granted to those with an undergraduate GPA of 2.75 or higher who meet all of the requirements of the specific program being applied to.
Provisional admission may be granted to those with an undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or higher or who lack specific program prerequisites, which must be completed as deemed appropriate by the program advisor.
Contingent admission may be granted to undergraduate seniors in their last semester who are graduating prior to the start of the master’s program semester and who meet all requirements for admission.
Tips for Applying
- Apply early! As the deadline approaches, we receive a higher volume of applications, which results in a slower response time. On average, you will hear back from us within two to three weeks of submitting a complete application.
- Apply online! Why wait for mail delivery when we can get your application online within 24 hours? You can submit your statement of goals and objectives and letters of recommendation electronically at the same time.
- Make sure your transcripts are official! Official means that the transcript must be issued to Northeastern Illinois University and be received by our office in a sealed, stamped envelope from your college or university.
- Ask questions! If you have questions regarding the status of your application for admission/graduation, or any general questions regarding graduate programs and admission, please contact Graduate Admissions and Records at (773) 442-6001.