Choice & Flexibility
- Northeastern is distinguished for its high quality, affordable graduate education.
- Classes are conveniently offered during the late afternoon and evening hours to accommodate working professionals.
- Students experience quality interactions with our esteemed faculty in small classroom settings
- Students may attend either full time or part time.
- Classes are offered at the Main Campus, El Centro campus, the Carruthers Center, and the University Center of Lake County.
- The Teacher Licensure Program is an option that enables individuals with college degrees to obtain an Illinois teacher license.
- Students may apply as “non-degree seeking” without formal admission to a specific degree program.
The College of Graduate Studies and Research at Northeastern Illinois University is committed to the development of scholars and leaders through outstanding graduate and post-baccalaureate programs that require students to master critical thinking and analysis, to integrate theory and practice, and to pursue creative and scholarly endeavors.
The College of Graduate Studies and Research at Northeastern Illinois University will prepare leaders representing diverse backgrounds and experiences to serve the needs of the global community. To advance student success, the College of Graduate Studies and Research will support research, training, faculty development, community service, and involvement in professional organizations.
It is the mission of Northeastern Illinois University to prepare a diverse community of students for leadership and service in our region and in a dynamic, multicultural world. In the College of Graduate Studies and Research, our programs offer opportunities for our students to achieve mastery in the following areas: Knowledge, Tools of Inquiry, Relevance, Communication, and Professionalism. Students will demonstrate that mastery through both coursework and a culminating experience appropriate to the program.
Graduate students will pursue and master advanced, specialized knowledge within their discipline.
Tools of Inquiry
Graduate students will develop academic curiosity and expertise in using tools of inquiry reflecting the norms and standards of their discipline. This expertise includes research ethics and methodologies, modes of critical thinking and problem solving, and appropriate uses of technology.
Graduate students will apply their knowledge and tools of inquiry to contextualize their learning within broad global, public, and academic communities.
Graduate students will develop professional communication skills, giving them the ability to engage in the critical, open exchange of ideas. They will be able to participate in diverse, collaborative networks within and across disciplines.
Graduate students will be prepared to serve and lead effectively in a diverse, global society according to the professional standards of their discipline. They will be ready to establish themselves as ethical individuals in their professional lives.