The Teacher Education Department encompasses:
- Three undergraduate initial teacher licensure programs: for undergraduate candidates who wish to become licensed teachers in the State of Illinois in Bilingual Education, Early Childhood Education and Elementary Education
- Three Master of Arts initial licensure programs: for candidates who have a Bachelor degree in a non-teaching area and wish to receive a Master of Arts in Education and obtain a license to teach in Illinois in Grades Pre K to 8.
- Master of Science in Teaching and Inquiry: for candidates who currently have their Illinois teaching license and/or are currently teaching, and who wish to further their studies in Education through a masters degree program.
- Teacher Licensure Program: for candidates who have a Bachelor degree in a non-teaching area and are seeking a teaching license without a masters degree.
All teacher preparation programs in the Teacher Education Department are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE).
- Bachelor of Arts in Bilingual/Bicultural Education
- Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Program
- Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education Program
- Master of Arts in Bilingual/Bicultural Education
- Master of Arts in Early Childhood Education
- Master of Arts in Elementary Education
- Master of Science in Teaching and Inquiry
Teacher Licensure and Endorsement
- Teacher Licensure Program (TLP)
- FOCUS Program - Bilingual/Bicultural Elementary Education, Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, and Middle School Education.
Office of Clinical Experiences and Student Teaching
For more information concerning clinical experiences and student teaching, please visit the CEST Office
Northeastern Illinois University offers a wide range of scholarships and grants for education majors.
For more information, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 773-442-5000, Building D, Rm. 200.
Teacher Education Department News Updates
Noteworthy at Northeastern: Global and local
9 hours agoFrom the Yucatán Peninsula to Chicago’s neighborhoods, Northeastern Illinois University’s faculty and students continue to make a difference locally and globally. Find out how, plus…
Two students selected to NASPA fellowship program
11 hours agoNortheastern Illinois University students Gabriela Mata and Claudia Xoy have been selected for the Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education (NASPA) Undergraduate Fellowship Program (NUFP). When…
Trio Voronezh to perform in Northeastern Jewel Box Series
4 days agoInternationally acclaimed Russian music ensemble Trio Voronezh will perform at Northeastern Illinois University on Friday, Feb. 20. Formed by Vladimir Volokhin, Valerie Petrukhin and Sergei Teleshev, Trio Voronezh…