The Teacher Education Department encompasses:
- Three undergraduate initial teacher licensure programs: for undergraduate candidates who wish to become licensed teachers in the State of Illinois in Bilingual Education, Early Childhood Education and Elementary Education
- Three Master of Arts initial licensure programs: for candidates who have a Bachelor degree in a non-teaching area and wish to receive a Master of Arts in Education and obtain a license to teach in Illinois in Grades Pre K to 8.
- Master of Science in Teaching and Inquiry: for candidates who currently have their Illinois teaching license and/or are currently teaching, and who wish to further their studies in Education through a masters degree program.
- Teacher Licensure Program: for candidates who have a Bachelor degree in a non-teaching area and are seeking a teaching license without a masters degree.
All teacher preparation programs in the Teacher Education Department are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE).
- Bachelor of Arts in Bilingual/Bicultural Education
- Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Program
- Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education Program
- Master of Arts in Early Childhood Education
- Master of Arts in Elementary Education
- Master of Science in Teaching and Inquiry
Teacher Licensure and Endorsement
- Teacher Licensure Program (TLP)
- FOCUS Program - Bilingual/Bicultural Elementary Education, Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, and Middle School Education.
Office of Clinical Experiences and Student Teaching
For more information concerning clinical experiences and student teaching, please visit the CEST Office
Northeastern Illinois University offers a wide range of scholarships and grants for education majors.
For more information, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 773-442-5000, Building D, Rm. 200.
Teacher Education Department News Updates
Noteworthy at Northeastern: A Biology success story
2 days agoWhere does a Biology degree from Northeastern Illinois University lead you? Well, it could be any number of exciting career paths. Check out just one…
Fine Arts Gallery exhibit features works by Jason Dunda
2 days agoNortheastern Illinois University’s Fine Arts Gallery will showcase new works from Chicago-based artist and professor Jason Dunda from Feb. 15 through March 18. Dunda’s exhibit, “Bystander recalls various incidents…
Mariana Ortega to be featured in Sarah L. Hoagland Speaker Series
4 days agoJohn Carroll University Philosophy Professor Mariana Ortega will speak on “In-Between Selves: World Traveling and Resistance” at the third annual Sarah L. Hoagland Speaker Series…