The Teacher Education Department encompasses:
- Three undergraduate initial teacher licensure programs: for undergraduate candidates who wish to become licensed teachers in the State of Illinois in Bilingual Education, Early Childhood Education and Elementary Education
- Three Master of Arts initial licensure programs: for candidates who have a Bachelor degree in a non-teaching area and wish to receive a Master of Arts in Education and obtain a license to teach in Illinois in Grades Pre K to 8.
- Master of Science in Teaching and Inquiry: for candidates who currently have their Illinois teaching license and/or are currently teaching, and who wish to further their studies in Education through a masters degree program.
- Teacher Licensure Program: for candidates who have a Bachelor degree in a non-teaching area and are seeking a teaching license without a masters degree.
All teacher preparation programs in the Teacher Education Department are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE).
- Bachelor of Arts in Bilingual/Bicultural Education
- Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Program
- Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education Program
- Master of Arts in Bilingual/Bicultural Education
- Master of Arts in Early Childhood Education
- Master of Arts in Elementary Education
- Master of Science in Teaching and Inquiry
Teacher Licensure and Endorsement
- Teacher Licensure Program (TLP)
- FOCUS Program - Bilingual/Bicultural Elementary Education, Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, and Middle School Education.
Office of Clinical Experiences and Student Teaching
For more information concerning clinical experiences and student teaching, please visit the CEST Office
Northeastern Illinois University offers a wide range of scholarships and grants for education majors.
For more information, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 773-442-5000, Building D, Rm. 200.
Teacher Education Department News Updates
Northeastern Illinois University to influence art education in Chicago with $30k grant
20 hours agoNortheastern Illinois University Center for College Access and Success has been awarded a $30,000 grant from the Polk Bros. Foundation titled Spaces for Possibility, an arts-based learning…
Noteworthy at Northeastern: Move your tassels
1 day agoWith the turning of more than 600 sets of tassels at Commencement, Northeastern Illinois University proudly conferred degrees upon its latest group of graduates. Congratulations,…
Northeastern plans Martin Luther King Jr. Day events
5 days agoNortheastern Illinois University will celebrate the life and accomplishments of Civil Rights Movement leader Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in a series of events…