Grand Opening of Mathematics community Center
The Mathematics Department invites everyone to the grand opening/ribbon cutting for the new 'Mathematics Community Center.' on Tuesday September 7, 2016 at 2pm right outside of BBH 364. Everyone is welcome to attend.
Located in the former classroom BBH 364 boasts walls and desks which are white boards. All of the Math Enrichment Workshops will be scheduled in the center. At other times tutoring will be available.
A big thank you to Profs. Sarah Cordell and Katherine Bird for all the work they did to get grant funding and approval for this new center
We want students to succeed and be confident with Mathematics, so we are very happy to have this new resource.
Please join us for this grand opening.
M.S. Presentation on August 22nd
Mr. Gary Miller, candidate for the M.S. in Mathematics, will present a talk on his project entitled “Fitting a simple SIR epidemic model to data: Example(s) for secondary school Mathematics" on Monday August 22, 2016 at 11am in room BBH 101. All are welcome. This event is free and open to the public.
- Dr. Sarah Cordell is seeking students for several fall 2016 mathematics peer leader positions. If you would like to gain valuable and unique math teaching experience at NEIU this is an excellent opportunity! Please contact her ASAP (preferably by August 18th) if you are interested in any of the math peer leader positions:
- Received August 16, 2016. A small private girls' school located at 5800 N Kimball is looking for a Calculus teacher. The class meets three times a week; Monday at 3:07 - 3:52 p.m., Tuesday at 4:10 - 4:55 p.m. and Thursday from 2:20 - 3:04 p.m. The teachers must have a Masters degree by January to be able to teach this course. For more information contact:
Bais Yaakov High School
5800 North Kimball Ave
Chicago, IL 60659
Congratulations to Dr. Sarah Cordell on her recent promotion to Associate Professor, Mathematics
Exchange faculty member from Poland on NEIU's Main Campus
Rafal Sobota, PhD, Czestochowa University of Technology, Institute of Power Engineering, Faculty of Electrical Engineering is visiting NEIU over the next two weeks (April 25 - May 6, 2016). If you'd like to know about his discipline: Electrotechnics, please contact the Mathematics Department and we will arrange an appointment. You might also find him at various times in Prof. Filus' office.
Hancock College Preparatory High School, the newest of the eleven selective enrollment high schools in Chicago Public Schools, seeks an addition to the Mathematics Department. Interested candidates should apply by email to the contact person listed below. Note: The closing date for this position is in ten days.
High School Mathematics
Date Posted in CPS:
April 25, 2016
Closing Date for Applications:
May 7, 2016
Hancock College Preparatory HS
4034 W 56th Street
Chicago, IL 60629
This is a 1.0 FTE position for the 2016-2017 school year. The successful candidate will have proper licensure and credentials before the beginning of the 2016-2017 school year.
Dr. Karen Boran, Principal
Come celebrate π Day on Monday March 14
And DON’T forget your running shoes! Join us Monday morning in the cafeteria.
- 8:30 a.m. Musical Performance in the cafeteria
- Complimentary Pie and Coffee Available
- 10:00 a.m. π/2 FUN RUN. Starts at the corner of Bryn Mawr Avenue and Central Park Avenue… Prizes will be awarded to the top three finishers!!
Brought to you by Mathematics Development and the Mathematics Department in cooperation with the Music Department.
FrogTutoring is looking to hire some students to work not just as tutors but also as mentors to students in the community. They have found that when students (K - 12 & College) are tutored by college students, then they will be more receptive and enthusiastic about the subject.
Great pay- Minimum of $30 per session, tutor chooses which grade level and subjects to tutor, as well as having the opportunity to create their own schedule, get driving compensation, periodic bonus and referral bonus.
Summer Research Oppportunity with NEIU's Student Center for Science Engagement
Applications are due March 4, 2016. Questions? Contact the Center at (773) 442-5663.
New Technical Report
The Mathematics Department is pleased to make available a new technical report by Dr. Katherine A. Bird, NEIU Mathematics. Her report is entitled, "Dade's Ordinary Conjecture for the Finite Special Unitary Group: Part I"