In 1867, the Cook County Commissioners appropriated money to establish an experimental Teacher Training School in Blue Island, Illinois. Rooms were not available for students and they had to be accommodated in a leaky freight car.
Three years later, in 1870, the school opened a new building in Englewood and became known as The Normal School. After almost 90 years of providing free tuition, accredited programs and four-year degrees, the newly named Chicago Teachers College was split into two branches due to overcrowding.
In 1961, the North Side Teachers College opened in the current St. Louis Avenue location. This branch was later renamed to Northeastern Illinois State College in 1967, continuing to offer teacher certification programs and non-education degrees.
By 1971, the university was renamed to Northeastern Illinois University with an enrollment of over 7,000 students, complete with Masters and non-traditional programs.
Today, Northeastern is still one of the most well known universities creating successful teachers and offering over 80 undergraduate and graduate programs to more than 11,000 students.
Northeastern continues to grow and is now of the most diverse and affordable universities in the Midwest.