Global Study and Experience
International Study and Experience
1. Africa: South Africa View Information View Syllabus
Global exposure and experience are always important. In recent times, it has become critical and significant in preparing a new generation of managers, leaders, scholars, and service partners. The 21st Century is already being defined by how well individuals collaborate with each other on issues and projects that are increasingly global in nature.
Since 2004, Justice Studies has included South Africa, one of 53 countries in the continent of Africa as part of its global education and experience.
Focus 1: Exposure to extensive justice/social justice issues in South Africa
Focus 2: Learning to critically analyse these issues from a global perspective
The Course: JUST 315O: Current Issues and Trends: South Africa Study Tour
Part 1: In-class extensive and rigorous academic preparation (See Syllabus)
Part 2: Two week intensive immersion experience and research in South Africa
Instructor: T.Y. Okosun
Research projects for the South Africa Study Course include but are not limited to:
• History of Struggle and Survival
• History of Successes and what works for liberty and justice
• History of Inequality and its implications to distributive justice (apartheid era)
• Continuing inequality: Contemporary debates (economic, social, and political)
• Contemporary violence (domestic abuse, rape, and assault)
• Health and distributive justice
• Post apartheid discourses around education, criminal justice, and security
• Crime, punishment, corruption, and justice (critical criminology)
• Post apartheid discourses on individual/national identity and social advantages
• Gender and justice debates
• Comparative Justice (One issue: South Africa and the United States)
• Comparative Justice (One issue: South Africa and other African nations)
• Comparative Justice (One issue: South Africa and the Globe)
• South Africa and Globalization
• South Africa and NEPAD
• The Global significance of the "Ubuntu Philosophy" for distributive justice
• African philosophy of justice: "Forgiveness and Reconciliation"
2. Latin America: Latin America Study Tour: Coming Soon.Also Visit the NEIU International Program Office for Other Global Study Opportunities.
3. Germany and Ruwanda: Genocide Study Tour: Coming Soon